Wednesday 22 May 2013

11 things about Pregnancy


Being pregnant is such an overwhelming experience for any lady to deal with and like everything there are certain things I have loved about being pregnant and some things that I haven't enjoyed quite so much. I wouldn't say there are things I 'hate' about being pregnant as I know it will all be worth it in the end!!

Things I love

1. Feeling Baby Clarke kicking- I first felt baby kicking around 18 weeks, first of all it wasn't really a popping sensation that some people describe, it was more like a reflex feeling, you know the kind of feeling you would get when you hit your knee as a kid to make your leg kick, it just comes out of nowhere. Now at 22 weeks, I don't stop feeling kicks and punches, we have one very active baby, and even Mr.C got to feel for the first time this week, after 2 weeks of trying!!

2. Attentive Husband- Mr.C has been pulling out all the stops recently, even bringing home Bio-Oil and Dioralytes (these little bad boys are coming in very handy - see below)

3.  Nail growth- I have the tiniest nail beds ever, seriously one stroke of a nail brush covers my whole nail! However since being pregnant my nails have grown incredibly well and are much stronger than they have ever been.

4. Shopping- of course! Any excuse. I love buying nice little treats for myself, I deserve them, right? And of course buying everything for baby. We jumped the gun a little and already bought our nursery bedding before our 12 weeks scan, who can resist a sale? Not me.

5. FitMama- I'll do a whole post on this shortly, but in jest, it's a pre-natal exercise class, combining Yoga, Thai Chi, breathing exercises and educational sessions.

Things I dislike

1. Tiredness- I didn't suffer any mentionable morning sickness but during the first 12 weeks I was exhausted, I would fall on the sofa at 5.45pm every evening and not be able to physically move, thankfully this didn't last long and so far my second trimester has left my full of beans.

2. Bad Skin- Again this is temporary, during the first trimester my skin suffered terribly not even my usual Liz Earle skin care routine help. It wasn't acne I was suffering from but blotchy skin on my face, not even makeup could hide. Luckily this has passed, I was even told today ' I look better pregnant' Maybe 'the glow' is finally kicking in??

3. Boob and Back ache- most likely related. All that extra weight is really putting a strain on my back. I have found a heated wheat bag to really help, that and a nice back massage from Mr. C.

4. Sleeping on my side- I am a front sleeper and sleeping on my side has not been going down to well, the weight of the bump really doesn't help with back ache, I have to switch sides every hour as I wake up and the side I am on is numb. It's recommended that you sleep on your left side, well good luck with that I say.

5. Lack of clothes-This has become such a chore, I have resisted in buying anything maternity apart from a bra, and work trousers. I have just ordered a work dress and trousers so I will let you know how I get on with those

6. Leg Cramps- these have probably been the worst thing I have suffered, to the point where I wake up at night and can't talk where they are so painful, prompting Mr.C to jump out of his side run round and stretch my leg out of spasm. I have also had to dump my M&S shopping trolley half way around to go and sit in the car and stretch out my foot. Dioralytes have been my savior, they are usually given to kids after a bout of diarrhoea for re-hyrdration, but if you are suffering like me these are totally worth the foul taste, they really help put all the goodness, salts and water back into your body. If you can't find these a good alternative is an energy drink containing electrolytes - lucozade etc.


What are your struggling with being pregnant? Are you missing certain foods? Or are you totally loving pregnancy?


No comments:

Post a Comment